Per ORC 3707.52 as enacted by Ohio HB 143 of the 129th General Assembly, ODH is required to post free training programs that train coaches and referees in recognizing the signs and symptoms of concussions and head injuries.
The three following free online trainings have been approved by ODH for coaches and referees:
This free on-line course is available through the NFHS. You will need to click the “order here” button and complete a brief registration form to take the course. Follow these steps to complete the course:
Click on the button that says, “please login to order.” In the window that appears, click “Register Now“.
- When your registration is complete you may “order” the free concussion course offered along the left hand side of the page. Continue following prompts. Although it may look like you’ll be charged for the course, there is no cost.
- Once you have completed “checkout,” you’ll be able to take the free online course.
- When you have completed and passed the course, you have the option of printing a certificate of completion.
This free online course is available to all coaches and parents. To register, pass the course and obtain a certificate of completion you will need to follow these steps:
- Click the “Sign Up” button and complete the brief registration form to create a free account.
- From your account you will want to select the “Go to clinic” link to begin.
- On the overview page you will need to select the “I want a certificate for this training” button to satisfy the Ohio law and obtain a certificate of completion.
- Answer all of the exam questions for each section. When complete, an “Access Your Certificate” link will appear under the More Resources tab for easy printability of your certificate.